View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 11:38 AM   #9
Lien

Dear DLL,

Reading your path statistics I think that perhaps you would not have received chemo at all in Europe. An Austrian research group found that for ER/PR + women, hormone tx was just as effective, sometimes even more effective than chemo.

Having said that, you obviously feel you are not getting optimal tx. You should discuss this with your onc. Perhaps she weighed the pro's and cons without explaining them to you? I think you are entitled to have your say in this. You may want to consider having a second opinion.

I decided on hormonal tx when the oncology panel that reviewed my case didn't think it was necessary. I asked for a second opinion and the onc at the Dutch National Cancer Intstitute gave me my options, showed me what my odds were in Adjuvant online, and told me that I would have to decide for myself.

I felt that, because my youngest child was only 3 when I was diagnosed, and my 8 yr old was having behavioral problems, I had to do anything to up my chances of seeing them grow up.

Ofcourse, there are no guarantees. Anybody can have a recurrence. I know a woman who had mets to the liver 12 years ago, who has been NED for years. I know a woman who was diagnosed with a more favorable path report at the same time as I was, who had more aggressive tx, who developed mets within a year.

You have to do what feels best to you.

Hugs

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote