View Single Post
Old 10-23-2008, 10:00 AM   #35
AlaskaAngel

Sharing ideas

AA: Wouldn't it also help in deciding whether (or not) to do other therapies? Wouldn't it also provide some insight into whether there are HER2 positives who both did not get trastuzumab AND are not Topo II and have not recurred?

Deb: As I said above, I don't think that it has any relevance, if Slamon is correct. Again, most any information about those who didn't get Herceptin is now moot, in our country at least. I would be interesting to those of us who didn't get it, but the information would have no practical application. That also applies to discussions of "late" trastuzumab. Science has moved on (and left you and me in the dust).

AA: Why do you think that finding out if there is a subgroup with possibly unique characteristics that require no therapy at all would only be interesting to those of us who have not recurred, and that finding out would have no practical application to current or future HER2's? Why would you believe it is not worthwhile to question whether or not there is such a subgroup? Are you assuming there is no such group without investigating whether there is or not?

Deb: This also reminds us that the immune system does not recognize successful cancer.

I don't agree that this has been proven. It very well may recognize cancer and succeed in keeping it at bay for most people, and fail only in certain subgroups with particular characteristics. It may continue to work to a significant degree in slowing cancer in those who have "more favorable characteristics", including characteristics other than those that are genetic (such as eating and exercising and not smoking, etc.)

I'm curious (if you don't my telling us) why you did not take your onc up on the offer to do late Herceptin? Was it cost? Or some other hesitation?

Probably for the same reason I don't depend on winning the lottery, or on the majority of our politicians to use common sense in dealing with economic buyouts. It had little to do with cost, other than a personal reluctance to devote such a big chunk of health care resources to a 50/50 chance (and only stage I at that) for being fortunate enough to have good health care insurance.

A.A.
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote