View Single Post
Old 10-14-2008, 09:01 AM   #14
pattyz

Steph: "HER2 driven brain mets seems to grow faster than other kinds, but maybe pattyz can comment on that."

No, I have no information on this. I have not seen where this has been mentioned as possible.

As for overall, I have this saved to desktop, fyi:

Brain metastases, unfortunately are very common and grave condition in the natural history of patients with cancer. It is estimated that approximately 250,000 patients with cancer will develop brain metastasis in the United States each year.

Autopsy data have shown that up to 50% of patients who die with cancer have evidence of spread to the central nervous system, with approximately 40% of these patients having a solitary or single metastasis . (Solitary means that this metastasis is the only evidence of cancer in the whole body, whereas single means that there are other deposits of cancer outside the brain).

· Tumors more prone to brain dissemination are: Lung, breast, melanoma, renal cell carcinoma, colorectal, sarcoma.
· The temporal pattern of presentation is of interest:
1. Preccocious (occult primary). Some authors state that up to one-third of patients who present with brain metastasis do not have previous cancer history, and in 16-35% of these patients a systemic cancer is never found
2. Synchronous
3. Metachronous (81%) Usually tertiary event: Short intervals (Lung, melanoma, renal CC). Long intervals (Breast, Colon, Sarcomas)

STAGING
Clinical Presentation: (the percentages vary largely with the published series)
Headaches 53%, usually caused by edema, CSF (Cerebral spinal fluid) flow compromise, traction of pain sensitive obstruction like sinuses, duramatter, blood vessels, or cranial nerves. These headaches are typically worse in the morning, and increase progressively in duration and intensity.
Focal weakness (40%), mental disturbance (31%), gait disorder (20%) visual problems (12%)
pattyz is offline   Reply With Quote