Thread: Benedryl ?
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2008, 09:53 AM   #7
Louise O'Brien

Laurianne...

I'm not an expert but I have to wonder if it wasn't the double dose of Benadryl. I had a very strong reaction to my first Herceptin dose - but it didn't happen until I got home. I developed a very high fever and the shakes and my husband was about to take me to the hospital - when slowly the fever subsided and I returned to normal.

But after that, they insisted on giving me Benadryl with my Herceptin infusion and I hated it. I hated feeling like I was nearly unconscious and it made the treatments miserable for me.

I knew there were written warnings about reaction to the first, longer dose of Herceptin and I felt mine were classic.

After about the fifth treatment, I begged to be taken off the Benadryl because it just made me feel so awful. I wanted to go cold turkey and they were very reluctant to do this but I insisted.

And I was fine - and I never never had any problems after that. So I'm hoping that will be the case with you.

True allergic reactions aren't fun. I'm allergic to penicillin and ended up in ER so I know how terrifying it can be.

Good luck and let us know how it worked out.

I'm going to throw out a positive vibe here
Louise O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote