View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 06:00 PM   #11
caya

Hello Diane,

I thought I would chime in here as I see you are from B.C., and I am from Toronto, so I am thinking you may be getting treated with FEC (a 3 chemo combo), then possibly Taxotere. This FEC-T combo is very commonly used here in Canada, as well as other commonwealth countries.
About a month after I finished my chemo, I started Herceptin, which I had every 3 weeks for a year.
I was also stage 1, you can see my stats. My onc. basically told me I was getting Herceptin, there really was no choice. Her 2+ is a tricky nasty devil, and you want to fight it from the onset with everything out there.
I got a port-a-cath inserted in my upper chest to do all my chemo and Herceptin, I strongly recommend you doing this.
As others have said, chemo is very "doable." Taxotere was worse for me, but I just kept thinking that the cancer cells felt worse than I did. The taxane chemos are proven to be very effective in fighting Her2+ BC. Herceptin is very easy compared to chemo. My main side effect was fatigue, some edema in my feet, legs. We are very lucky to have Herceptin - it really is the magic potion, especially for us early stagers.

And BTW, I had been having annual mammos since age 40, along with ultrasounds. Showing nothing. I had a breast reduction in October 2006, my PS found my 1.7 cm. tumour. A breast MRI before surgery found the second 1.0 cm. tumour. Dense breasted women are 4 - 6 x more likely to develop BC.

Good luck, we'll help you all we can.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!

Last edited by caya; 10-01-2008 at 06:04 PM..
caya is offline   Reply With Quote