View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 06:33 AM   #4
BethC

Debra, I'm with you on this question. And I have a few more questions that have come up in this post.

First, I was not aware of the recurrence rate for lumpectomies being 50%. Is that recurrence rate vs. mastectomy or all Her2+ or something else? I was told and read statistics that the outcomes from mastectomies and lumpectomies + radiation were roughly equivalent. Now I'm worried I made the wrong decision in my surgery. I have had 2 mammograms since my radiation ended in April and I found out yesterday that the radiologist has been watching one area of "benign calcifications" on the lumpectomy breast. They said everything looked ok but would have to wait for the final report. OK, but not as reassuring as I would have liked.

My other question is the follow up plan that Brenda mentioned. Was your plan to alternate the PET with CT/bone scans every 6 months? or have CT/bone scans every 6 months? And what are the tumor marker tests? I don't know if I've ever had any tests other than the original ones to determine my type ER/PR/Her2neu.

My doctor is one of the ones who follows the theory of don't test unless there are symptoms; however, he is receptive to ordering tests. I never have symptoms of anything, even when I have something, so that makes me nervous that something will be missed. I am scheduled for a PET/CT on Friday because I am having unexplained blood clotting issues.

Anyway, this was more long-winded than I intended. Thank you everyone for your contributions on this board. We all draw support from each other.

Love,
Beth
Er+Pr+Her+++
Carboplatin/Taxotere/Herceptin
10-1-07 -- 1-16-08
Herceptin every 3 weeks until 9/24/08
Lump. and node dissection 2-12-08
BRCA1 and 2 negative
30 rads finished 4-23-08
oophorectomy 5-6-08
Femara started 5/25/08
Zometa for osteoporosis every 6 mo. started 9-24-08