View Single Post
Old 09-24-2008, 10:26 AM   #14
madubois63

I applied for social security disability half way through my first round of treatment. I did it on my own and was approved. I had to wait six months before I got benefits due. I also applied for my children and they were approved for benefits through my case. After my ex quit his job leaving me and the kids without insurance (during cancer treatments), I applied and received benefits from Medicaid. After 2 years, I was eligible for Medicare. Medicare became my primary and Medicaid became the second that covers the remaining 20% that Medicare doesn't pay. My doctors have many times requested extended benefits on my behalf from Medicaid because those limited doctor visits weren't enough. Ask your onc about it. That shouldn't be a problem. In the mean time, type in prescription assistance in your search bar and apply for everything you can find. You may be surprised at how many will approve and assist you. I receive assistance for co-pays and prescriptions. Check your state web site. Many states offer assistance in paying for re-education after illness. I was not able to return to my job after the first bout with cancer, but I could still work. My state (NY) has a program (Federal/State funded) called VESID that helped pay for college courses and books so that I could get my degree and a new job.

You got a lot of good advice already. I would certainly recommend your contacting The Lance Armstrong foundation, Cancercare and the American Cancer Society for finacial, legal and prescription assistance. Cancercare reimbursed me for pain medication that wasn't covered and for travel to and from treatments. The american Cancer Society (besides wigs, makeup, support groups ande so much more) sent me a small weekly grant for a while. It helped pay for food. There is a lot of assistance out there, you just have to apply or ask. Good luck!!!
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver