View Single Post
Old 09-22-2008, 09:13 PM   #22
Jean

Dana,
What a draining experience (especially with co-workers)
A strong reason that I chose to keep my work enviorment out of my private life......for the most part I think those who have had the first hand experience of dealing with this disease have a good understanding of the emotional and physcial aspects that must be delt with.

I have often said it myself that "the mind heals the body" but not in the literal sense of things when concerning the disease of cancer or any other major threat to our selves. It is a recipe of sorts, good doctors, loving family,
supportive friends, surgery, treatments, radiation, heathy food, exercise.

Lets face it, having a good attitude helps us get through the treatments we must deal with and coping with the
down time of the chemo. Everyone at one time or another deals with all the emotions, depression, fear
and worry that comes along with the terrority. I do
believe that by having the best mental attitude we can muster (not all of the time) after all we are human,
helps us beat back this disease.

Who the heck gets up anyday and says, "Well I want to be a loser"? We all want to win this battle and fight hard each and everyday from the second we hear the words
from our dr. "You have bc"....ugh....no it is NOT easy.

We cannot disguse the fact we will not always cry, we will not always laugh, how foolish of anyone who speaks out and says "a positive attitude will defeat cancer"
then for goodness sake we would all be cured.

You are a strong figher and you deserve and have earned your right to feel as you wish! I am a bit annoyed at your boss, "saying you could laugh a bit more" but what does he know or how can he know?

We learn quickly to discard unsupportive friendships, to weed out those realtionshps that "don't work." We also learn to make time in a busy day for moments of appreciation, beauty and love. I also learned it is really okay to cry. How on earth could your boss understand how we do not allow chemo to hurt our spirit, just those nasty cells that need to be destroyed.

I guess that old saying is true..."Walk a mile in my shoes
first".....

With Love,
jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006

Last edited by Jean; 09-22-2008 at 09:17 PM..
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote