View Single Post
Old 09-15-2008, 08:39 AM   #12
DonnaD

Susan,
I was just about to post on this very subject. There was a post dealing with this before (as Jackie 07 mentioned). I am sorry you too are still dealing with this. So am I and many others on the site!

Were the x-rays you had a series of rib x-rays, or a standard chest x-ray? I have two fractured ribs in the radiated area (left side) that did not show up on a chest x-ray but did show up on rib X-rays and then on a CT.

Articles suggest that 1% can develop rib fractures from radiation. My radiation onc said she feels it is much higher than that, possibly as high as 25%.

I had another CT in June and it show the ribs were healing. In July I started having severe rib pain again. I assume I re-injured them doing too much. I go in next week for my 6 month muga and will have another series of rib x-rays done to be sure it is not a new fracture. My concern is why aren't they healing and can this be a re occurrence to the bone? In all likely hood it is the same fracture but those nagging questions keeping coming up and I can't let them go. As Mary Jo mentioned the "what if's".

You can read about fractures occurring from radiation at the site below or just goggle rib fractures from bc radiation.
http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~content=a787159702~db=all~order=page

Donna
Lumpectomy 8/30/06
Stage llA, grade 3, ER/PR-, Her2++
1.7 cm tumor, 1+ lymph node out of 9
Completed 4 A/C, & 4 Taxol with Herceptin
36 rads completed 5/16/07
Mammograms, 7/07 clear
fractured ribs in radiated area 10/07
Finished Herceptin 12/27/07
Mammogram,CT,tumor markers 1/08 - small lung nodules in radiated area, repeated tests 3/08 stable
Mammogram,CT ,tumor markers 6/08 stable
NED 2 years!!
3 years !!!
4years!!!!
4 years, 10 months and 8 day NED, calling it 5 years!!!
Official 5 years 8/30/2011
8/31/ 2012 - 6 years!!!!!!

Last edited by DonnaD; 09-15-2008 at 09:10 AM..
DonnaD is offline   Reply With Quote