View Single Post
Old 09-12-2008, 05:39 PM   #10
Louise O'Brien

Gamma Lu:

My diagnosis was very much like yours - Stage one, no lymph or sentinel node involvement, and er/pr negative.

In Canada, we didn't have the option of choosing Herceptin on its own. Because our health care is covered, it was Herceptin plus chemo or nothing. So I had no choice but to go through chemo as well.

I went through chemo first and then Herceptin and wrapped up treatment six months ago.

Looking back, I'm happy I made the most agressive choice - I did the best I could and will never have to second-guess myself or ask "what if.."

I took my cue from my husband's situation eight years ago when he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. There were all kinds of options from radical surgeery to what they call "watchfull waiting" i.e. just wait and see whether it will get worse.

He was influenced by a video that was given him which included an interview with General Norman Schwarzkopf who also had prostate cancer.

Schwarzkopf said his only response when he was diagnosed was to "get the damned thing out". Not to mess around. My husband made that decision and he's not sorry.

I too opted for the most aggressive course considering I was stage one. I went through a mastectomy followed by chemo & Herceptin.

I know it's an awful, confusing time and as others have said, it might help to get a second opinion.

And take a friend with you - someone who will take notes because there's so much you might not hear considering how emotional this decision is.

I cannot stress how important Herceptin is though - it's important to take that drug.

And as others have said - chemo is do-able. Once you're through that, Herceptin is a relative walk in the park. I experienced minimal side effects and had regular muga scans. My life returned to near-normal once I was on Herceptin. It truly is a miracle drug.

Last edited by Louise O'Brien; 09-12-2008 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: edited to add more on Herceptin
Louise O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote