View Single Post
Old 09-01-2008, 09:02 PM   #26
Barbara2

I did not have radiation for a 4.5+ cm tumor, clean margins. Although I had a mastectomy, the size of the tumor made me wonder if radiation should be considered.

After completing chemo, I asked my onc about whether or not radiation was in order. He said, "Your tumor is gone. The cancer is not there any more. You don't need radiation." He went on to discuss the cons of radiation; it is not good...mentioned the atom bomb...so if we have the choice to avoid it, we should.

Months passed and after reading about others with a similar size tumor, and some people having had mastectomies plus radiation, I decided to call the onc in Rochester, Minnesota, who I had talked to for a second opinion before starting chemo. This time I wanted her opinion regarding radiation treatment for my (late) situation.

After a thoughtful pause, she said, no, too much time had passed, and I should continue to follow the advice of my local oncologist. I felt in my heart that if I had asked her during the window of time when radiation would have been an option, she would have advised to go with it. But too much time had passed (6 months, more? not sure...) so she would not recommend it.

If ever I have a recurrance in that breast, I will believe that radiation would have taken care of lingering cancer cells. I also live with the shoulda-coulda thought of not having had taxol. I wanted it, didn't get it.

All the best to you.

DX Oct 02 @ age 52 Stage 2B Grade 3 Mastectomy
"at least" 4.5 cm IDC 1+node ER+61% /PR-
Assiciated Intraductual component with Comedo Necrosis
Her2+ FISH8.6 IHC 2+
5 1/2 CEF Arimidex
Celebrex 400mg daily for 13 months
Prophylactic mastectomy
Estradiol #: 13
PTEN positive, "late" Herceptin (26 months after chemo)
Oct 05: Actonel for osteopenia from Arimidex.
May 08: Replaced Actonel with Zometa . Taking every 6
months.

Accepting the gift of life, I give thanks for it and live it in fullness.

Last edited by Barbara2; 09-01-2008 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: addition
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote