View Single Post
Old 08-22-2008, 05:21 PM   #7
DonnaD

Hi Girlfriend,
My opinion, always get the FISH test. I knew so little when first diagnosed. I am so grateful for a top notch surgeon and onc that helped me during that early time. I had a core biopsy at a local hospital and they never even did an IHC or FISH.

After surgery at a large teaching hosptial my IHC was positive but my surgeon would not proceed with recommendations for treatment until the FISH test was done.

As we learned at ASCO Jean, there needs to be a standards for each lab running these tests (like Angel Alaska mentioned). IHC can be wrong. Even though I was at a large teaching hospital the FISH test took several more days for the results to come back. Once back my surgeon and onc felt confident to proceed with recommendations for treatement.

The FISH test is more expensive but I had no trouble with my insurance paying for both. I guess the main question is how do we inform newly diagnosed patients of information they need for treatment? Not all will search the web or have surgeons and onc that go beyond the standard care.

Very thought provoking Jean.
Donna
Lumpectomy 8/30/06
Stage llA, grade 3, ER/PR-, Her2++
1.7 cm tumor, 1+ lymph node out of 9
Completed 4 A/C, & 4 Taxol with Herceptin
36 rads completed 5/16/07
Mammograms, 7/07 clear
fractured ribs in radiated area 10/07
Finished Herceptin 12/27/07
Mammogram,CT,tumor markers 1/08 - small lung nodules in radiated area, repeated tests 3/08 stable
Mammogram,CT ,tumor markers 6/08 stable
NED 2 years!!
3 years !!!
4years!!!!
4 years, 10 months and 8 day NED, calling it 5 years!!!
Official 5 years 8/30/2011
8/31/ 2012 - 6 years!!!!!!

Last edited by DonnaD; 08-23-2008 at 03:10 PM..
DonnaD is offline   Reply With Quote