View Single Post
Old 08-22-2008, 09:18 AM   #2
schoolteacher

Joe and Christine,

I requested the test after seeing yours or Christine's post on the board. Kate also told me to have the doctor do the test because her doctor could tell from the test when her cancer had returned.

My doctor did not know about the test, but he gladly did the test for me. I have had it done twice since my neoadjuvant chemo. I really wish I had had the test done when I was first diagnosed, so I would know how high my level really was.

When I asked the doctor about doing tumor markers in July, he said, "when I initially had my tumor marker test it was in the normal range 21, and he would rather use the HER2 test again."

I posted on the board the cost in Georgia. It is around $300.00 dollars and less if your insurance company has a deal with the lab. The doctor was amazed at how low the cost is. When I first asked him, "he figured it would be between $1500.00 or $1000.00 dollars before he checked with the billing office." I feel that this is reasonable for this test. If others start taking the test maybe the price will drop even more.

If there is anyway I can help with responding to this I will.

Amelia

P.S. I have asked the doctor to see about me taking a vaccine for my Her2 once I finish my Herceptin in February. I did have some BC in my L4, but when I had a scan in April it was gone. Has Christine ever taken one of these vaccines? Does she still take Herceptin? If she does, how often does she take it? I am half way through my treatment, and I want to know what my next step should be.

I would glady receive any info your might have concerning these questions.
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote