View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 09:12 PM   #26
Ginagce

Wink Other's Cancers

Rhonda, when I was first diagnosed, stage I, lumpectomies (bi-lateral) and rads to one breast, my husband had just come home after 7 months total away.
Four months in hospital and 3 months in rehab.

He had been diagnosed with CNS NHL only days before he went into a coma. After watching him fight for his life for 7 months, my "little surgery" and 7 weeks of rads did seem like a cakewalk and I had trouble even feeling sorry for myself!

Since that time (1997), he has since died, I have had a recurrence,(2004/Stage III, ER+, Her2+, had bi-lateral mastectomies, reconstruction, ACT chemotherapy, 2 years of herceptin and am currently taking an AI which unfortunately, for me means major bone and joint pain.

So, having seen both ends of the spectrum (the only way I know how to describe it) I will say a couple things.

I understand your response to that woman. I don't think you should feel bad about it...

It's always disturbing to hear anyone who chooses to stop treatment of what some, in comparison to their own experience, may perceive as an early small cancer that can be knocked out with rads.

But I don't think that at the end of the day, any of us "measure" each other's pain and truly believe that one of us hurts more than the other.

I also know, from the time I spent here while on Herceptin, that you are a very supportive person and will have other opportunities to be there for her.

So don't beat yourself up about it...okay?

Ginagce

P.S. And I tend to agree with the man on here....if you were talking to a man, that would have been absolutely the appropriate thing to say! (gotta luv em!)
Ginagce is offline   Reply With Quote