View Single Post
Old 07-20-2008, 06:15 PM   #21
chrisy

Your life is not over

Goops,

Sorry I have not seen this post, I've been at my 12 YO niece's birthday party in Chicago all weekend...

First let me say , well $&*T!

Second, let me say that although this is obviously not the news any of us wanted for you, your life is not over!

I remember like it was yesterday when I was diagnosed with extensive liver mets (after an original diagnosis of DCIS only). It was the most devastating day of my life. That was nearly 4 years ago. Do not lose heart.

You have treatment options which can still work well for you. I'm sure your oncologist has your best interests at heart and wants you to do well. He/she obviously knows the specifics of your situation better than we do. However I'm also concerned as others have noted, because you DO have symptoms - indications that the cancer may be interfering with your liver's healthy functioning. So it's a bit scary as you need to get control of it, and the questions bear asking.

I also wonder if you have gotten second opinion (or third as some have suggested). You do want to be sure you've considered all your options.

That said, Fulvestrant is not an unproven therapy - it's an approved treatment for ER+ metastatic cancer. And blocking the ER pathway PLUS Her1 and Her2 is a good concept - so this trial is actually quite interesting.

Although most people's initial reaction to a diagnosis of liver mets is to blast the living daylights out of it, it may indeed be reasonable to try a less aggressive approach - if your disease is minimal and easily monitored.

To me, this is key because you definitely want to gain control of the disease in the liver. Although you describe 1 "large" and several "smaller" mets, you don't know how fast it is growing. So especially if you are in a placebo comparison trial, you must be vigilant so you can move on quickly if need be.

It is important that you do get multiple opinions - and that you trust your team. You will make the right decision for you.

Just know that we are all here to help you in any way we can, we care about you and are praying for you.

Love
Chris
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote