View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 02:16 PM   #49
swimangel72

Thanks Bill ,Terri and Jackie - I really appreciate your kind words and for making me smile! I have to stay on Herceptin until April of '09, but I'll be done with the vein-burning Navelbine at the end of August.

My infusion today went very well without the port. The nurses all seem so calm and competent......they didn't infuse the Navelbine with the plunger, but hung up the bag on the IV pole and dripped it in slowly with saline. They also gave me an anti-nausea medication which surprised me, because in my old onc's office, they didn't give me anything. That may explain why after my infusions at my old onc's office, I'd rush home with diarrhea - now I feel fine, just a bit tired. I also saw my onc today and he said he'd do a Pet scan when I'm finished with the Navelbine but I shouldn't worry at all about the cyst on my liver - my enzymes are all normal. My red blood cell count was a bit low today, but nothing a big juicy red steak wouldn't help (yummmmmmmmm......Porterhouse is on sale today - time to fire up the grill!)

P.S. The other patients at my new onc's office are all so inspiring......across from me, an older man, very thin and bald with a wicked smile, twinkle in his eyes and an uplifting sense of humor; on my left an older nun in a white veil - she had swollen legs and a very kind face and smile - she spoke like the administrator of a nursing home; across from me on the other side, a young woman, with kids younger than mine, continuing our mutual exchange of stories of our pets eating junk off the floor and getting sick. Last week my daughter's cat ate half a Motrin tablet and had to spend a night in the animal hospital (costing me over $1,000 just to get him rehydrated and to be sure his kidney's were OK.) Last night, her dog ate a mushroom outside and she had to run to the vet......we were both laughing to hard, we felt like the nurses were about to caution us to keep it down (but they didn't - we did quiet down eventually when her meds started kicking in.)

I admire all these people so much - they are much sicker than I am and yet retain their love of life and laughter, God bless them all!
IDC Stage 1, Grade 1
ER+ 90% /PR+ 90% /Her2++++, BRAC1 & 2 neg
3/5/08 - mast with muscle-sparing free tram;
0/7 nodes clear; Stage 1 lymphedema in right arm
3/11/08 - MRSA infection in abdomen causes large hernia
4/11/08 - Oncotype DX score 22 (intermediate)
4/12/08 - Muga score 67%
4/23/08 - Chemo, Navelbine and Herceptin every 2 weeks
8/20/08 - Last Navelbine infusion! Yay!
1/22/09 - First mammo since dx - unaffected breast CLEAR!
1/30/09 - Second Muga score 63%
swimangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote