View Single Post
Old 06-24-2008, 05:55 PM   #4
Carolyns

Ann,

It is very discouraging to be treated this way. I tried to sue the first doctor who delayed my diagnosis 19 years ago. He said that I was too young for a mammogram at 32 when I told him that I felt a lump. He told me to visit every 3 months to monitor the lump and seemed very attentive. All the while in my chart he was writing that I was "obsessed" with a fear of beast disease. I found this out after reading my chart in the lawyers office. I changed doctors and got a mammogram which found cancer the first time. Anyway, I learned it is not so easy to sue a doctor and it is very time consuming.

Anyway, that experience made me understand that I am not up to suing anyone. It also made me wonder - What is the proper follow-up for long time survivors. I wish that someone could gain from my experience.

I think that the excellent question raised by dberg. In my case markers would have been a sign. I also had bone pain but mistakenly thought that the bone density test would show activity in the bones but I was wrong on that. So a bone scan would have also helped me discover the cancer sooner.

Carolyn
Carolyns is offline   Reply With Quote