View Single Post
Old 06-17-2008, 11:04 AM   #18
R.B.

As you observe Omega 6 is everywhere in processed foods.

You need to look at whatever your oil intake in terms on its composition. `Not a lot' is different for different people.

There are a number of people that market a 3 -6 -9 oil with reasonable Omega 3;6 balances of the mother fats. Cold pressed under inert gas is likely to be best. But if you already have lots of Omega 6 in your diet then the 6 in a 3-6-9 oil will add to that balance, and oils with more omega 3 like flax may be a better choice.

Even if you a getting the mother omega 3s a number of factors can prevent conversion to long chain fats DHA and EPA, so the most certain option is to ensure a supply of long chain Omega 3s in fish oil or vegetarian sources. How much - 600mg to about 3 grams a day of DHA and EPA combined total are suggested in trials. Oestrogen facilitates conversion, so loss of oestrogen likely diminishes conversion. So my inkling would be towards the higher end of the spectrum. Some take more. Please talk to your doctor about dietary change.

Numbers - The book was called the Omega Six the Devils Fat as Omega 6 arguably promotes the seven sins by influencing behaviour through the chemical pathways, and the fat is made of 18 carbons divided into groups of 6 by the position of the double bonds - 3x6.

It just seemed a catchier title than `Omega Six in excess may increase the risks of a number of western conditions or similar'.

Number theory is fascinating, but more than likely much too subtle to have simplistic observable effect. We all have our favourite numbers.

Omega 3 DHA is essential to brain function and reduces the risk of a number of neurological conditions.

It is not something I have found much on, but I have often wondered if chemo uses the body's stock of Omega 3s

Last edited by R.B.; 06-17-2008 at 01:20 PM..
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote