Thread: MS questions
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2008, 12:05 AM   #9
AbbyDawg

Bill,

I haven't been posting much because I haven't been feeling well. Am 9 months into the TEACH study. As soon as I can, I will be happy to talk to you about MS. I have had it at least since 1983 and possibly since 1976. In 1976, I got Lyme disease which went untreated until 1991 because there was no test for it until then. The Lyme infection eventually brought out MS.

I have been treated for MS since 1997. First with the beta-interfuron injections, which were too hard on me. They are former chemo drugs and gave me the chemo side-effects. Eventually they came out with Copaxone, a daily injectible that is not a beta-interfuron. I have been on it since 2001, and it works wonders! Tooks away my tremors and I feel about 20 years younger. Hmmmmm, that is until 2006 came along and I met up with DCIS and IDC Her2+. Uffda! The worst mistake I made though was I stopped Copaxone during chemo and surgery ... I did go back downhill with my MS symptoms but am now getting on track again.

One suggestion for your friend, the easiest thing to do is go to someone who is very familiar in her area with Lyme disease and have them do a blood test to see if it is Lyme. Lyme mimics MS and is MUCH more successfully treated!

The BEST suggestion is that she find top TOP neurologist in her area and one she likes. Neurologists are a strange bird: they are some of the finest doctors but not naturally "outgoing". I have always said neurologists are my favorite doctors but that is because I love to pick their brains and they seem to enjoy that. Of course, now my oncologist has jumped to the top of my FAVORITE List!!!!

Bill, you have been a saint on this board!

AbbyDawg
AbbyDawg is offline   Reply With Quote