Thread: MS questions
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2008, 08:28 PM   #6
emily

MS question

Hi Bill,
I have been diagnosed with MS for about 15 years. My symptoms were very similar to your friend and I also had one small hotspot on a brain MRI. I waited a few years-mainly to finish some post grad study- before I went ahead and had nerve conduction tests and the definitive spinal fluid test. It did come up ositive for myelin sheath damage and the protein that indicates MS. At the time I was absolutely devastated as I work as a teacher/researcher in the diability field and had too much information!! fifteen years down the track my symptoms have not changed too mcu although I do get pins & needles in hot weather & suffer from severe fatique. My mobility hasn't been affected and I feel very lucky for that. There are a few types of MS and some remain quite stable. How old is your friend? I was 41 when diagnosed and I think a later diagnosis is better. I do find that my immune sytem is a little compromised and maybe that's why I have breast cancer. However, the most important thing is not too panic and to find a very good neurologist who communicates well. (I'm in Australia so can't help there!) If I can help in any other way please feel free to contact me.
Regards,
Emily
emily is offline   Reply With Quote