View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 03:10 PM   #13
R.B.

Hi Vicki,

This is a good thread. Dont worry if you do not understand the technical stuff you just need the gist.

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...ght=greek+diet

The other half of supplementing Omega 3s is to balance the omega 3 and six mother fats. Mother omega 3s and 6s are the ones found in vegetable oil sources.

I am a researcher a best. I am not an expert and not a doctor.

There is considerable discussion on dosages of fish oils. There is no right answer. It is complex. You need to talk to your doctor. My instinct would be towards the higher rather than lower end of the recommendations. Oestrogen plays a role in allowing women to make more long chain fats like DHA. So do those on oestrogen blocking strategies have a significantly lowered ability to make long chain fats. My guess is yes. IF this is the case then such women would arguably have a higher need for long chain Omega 3s, and maybe an higher need than average post menopausal women.

Definitive answers to the questions do not exist, but as the risks of reasonable omega supplementation for most are very limited and the potential benefits high it would seem a reasonable risk reward decision to go for the higher end of the normal recommendation range. Against that there are only so many fish.

There are some very good bottled oils which is a cheaper way of getting the same amount, but some prefer capsules.

If the Omega 3s and 6s are in balance it may be that lower intakes levels are fine, but the reality is the answers are not known.

Total EPA plus DHA recommendation vary from about 300grams a day to 2.7 grms a day.

This is a good book by a renowned doctor and neurosurgeon that does look at potential issues of fish oil supplementation, and it is not too expensive. The risks are limited but there are issues with some medications etc, and different doctors have different viewpoints, so best talk to your doctor about it.

Dr Maroon seems to be heading to a gram a day but you will see others in the link are suggesting up to 2.7 grams (about).

Fish Oil: The Natural Anti-inflammatory (Paperback)
by Joseph C., Ph.D. Maroon (Author), Jeffrey Bost (Author)

http://www.amazon.com/Fish-Anti-infl...3134012&sr=8-1

Last edited by R.B.; 06-10-2008 at 03:14 PM..
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote