View Single Post
Old 06-03-2008, 03:17 PM   #4
TSund

back again to natural progesterone

This study supports the idea that natural progesterone might help symptoms safely, even for ER+/PR+? This actually came up this morn when I was asking my holistic doctor about Ruth's latest issue, the "needling" hot flashes (see thread called "pricks")

She said what she would recommend would be natural progesterone, but that oncologists would not agree with this. (I am guessing she is right as much as I like our oncologist) I asked specifically about the ER+/PR+ status, and she said this issue is being currently addressed by one of the others authors on this topic (Dr. Zava I think) My doc said in essence, "Estrogen makes cells divide and multiply, progesterone does not."
The studies I've seen seem to support this, but the common wisdom has been to avoid all sex hormones, and of course it is the "logical" jump for PR+ tumors. She said the receptors for PR+ simply indicate the body is low on progesterone.

It seems to me she is using is using one set of logic for the PR+ than the ER+, but it is obvious to all that the ER is a culprit. It seems that it has never been proven that PR is indeed one.

Aye. What is one to do. While I was on board with Ruth's treatment thus far, my gut says there may be better ways to treat hormonally than the synthetic drugs. Ruth isn't supposed to have flax because flax is being shown to have "tamoxifen" like effects. Given a choice wouldn't it be better to have the flax? (yes, IF the comparison studies were in place which they probably never will be)
Breast MRI showed 2 enlarged nodes, not palpable
100%ER+, 95%PR+, HER2+++
6x pre-surgery TCH chemo finished 9/15/7 Dramatic tumor shrinkage
1 year Herceptin till 6/08
MRM 10/11/07, SNB: 0/4 nodes + Path: tumors reduced to only a few "scattered cells"
now 50% ER+, PR- ???
Rads finished 1/16/08
Added Tamoxifen,
Finished Herceptin 05/08
NOW is the time to appreciate life to the fullest.
TSund is offline   Reply With Quote