View Single Post
Old 05-30-2008, 01:31 PM   #20
harrie

I had a 6mm (0.6 cm) tumor. I know there are many out there with similar path reports that did not feel the necessity for chemo and have done very well over the yrs. I read profiles of people at this site that had stage 1, like me, and have gone on to a more advanced stage a few yrs later. I look at that and I wonder what did they do or not do that I am doing that may make a difference in my prognosis.

To do or not to do chemo was a difficult decision. At the time I was not familiar with the HER2 online site. I was told either choice would not have been a wrong choice given the size of the tumor. I decided to be aggressive and "just do it" which is part of my nature anyways I guess.
I was fortunate and dispite the side effects, tolerated treatment reasonably well.
I totally agree that is is an individual decision with many factors to take into consideration, esp when the tumor is fortunately as small as ours (MJo, Westswon)was.
Mjo, your Oncotype score is favorable as far as the probable effectiveness of the chemo. Wish mine was that high.

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara

Last edited by harrie; 05-30-2008 at 01:45 PM..
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote