View Single Post
Old 05-19-2008, 01:40 PM   #6
BethC

Hi,
I had TCH a few months ago and here is what meds I had:
Dexamethazone 4mg/2x a day starting the day before chemo. I continued it until day 8 because I had severe nausea the first round and that has an anti-nausea effect. It does make you gain water weight and real weight but comes off when you're finished. They also infused it into my iv, along with benedryl. They also infused tylenol into my iv.

After my first round of chemo, my counts dropped and I was admitted to the hospital with neutopenia. After that, I had to get a neulasta shot after each infusion (the following day). It made me feel lousy but it kept me out of the hospital. It is not prescribed unless your counts drop very low.

I am currently only getting Herceptin infusions and have no meds with it (no benedryl). However, I need to infuse it over 90 minutes instead of 30 because it reduces my side effects (coughing and bronchial spasms).

Every patient is different and tolerates medicines differently. Don't panic if your regimen differs from someone else's. Like you, I am very sensitive to medicines. Don't assume that eliminating Decadron will make you feel better - remember, you are getting really toxic chemical agents infused into your veins and they will make you feel weird.

Good luck with your last treatment - before you know it, you'll be finished with this part of your journey!

Beth
Er+Pr+Her+++
Carboplatin/Taxotere/Herceptin
10-1-07 -- 1-16-08
Herceptin every 3 weeks until 9/24/08
Lump. and node dissection 2-12-08
BRCA1 and 2 negative
30 rads finished 4-23-08
oophorectomy 5-6-08
Femara started 5/25/08
Zometa for osteoporosis every 6 mo. started 9-24-08

Married 16 years!