View Single Post
Old 05-18-2008, 10:41 AM   #1
Unregistered

Premeds for chemo(taxotere,carb&Herc)

In "interviewing" 6 oncoologists before deciding the course I would take I focused on the chemo and hercep treatment. I never thought to inquire about the medications that they would dispense with the treatment. Naively, I guess I assumed that it would be standard.

I am somene who is extremely sensitive to most medications as well as numerous substances such as sugar, flour, wheat ,caffeine sweetners etc. My oncologist had me take 8 mg of Decadon twice daily the day before, of ,and after chemo. I was flying high and either the Decadron, Taxoter or Carb substantially increased my apetite. I asked if I could eliminate the Decadon and my Dr. was willing to take me to 4 mg from 8. About 2 days after chemo I have an insatiable craving for carbs which lasts for about 10 days. Relative to my Hercep treatments I originally was on 25mg of Benadryll which put me in a deep sleep. My oncologist reduced it to 12mg but is unwilling to take me off the Benadryll.

I attend a cancer support group and several of the women on TCH stated that they do not take Decadron or any other steriod with chemo. Further, another women who did a year of Hercp stated that she never took Benedryll or any other medications with Hecep. Further, several women stated that with TCH their oncologist ,as a standard course, gives them an injection with the drug (N?)to promote white blood cells within 48 hours of each chemo treatment. My oncologist has never prescribed this.

I have alot of shame relative to the 40 pound weight gain I have expereinced since the start of my chemo. My 6th and last round is scheduled for the last Thursday in May. I would appreciate feedback relative to the meds others are taking with their treatments.