View Single Post
Old 05-06-2008, 09:14 AM   #1
Joan S.

Surgery for Stage IV?

Ladies,
I need your advice. I was diagnosed with stage IV a little over a year ago. I was on Herceptin and taxol for about 7 1/2 months. After a very good outcome and some severe neuropathy, I decided to try herceptin and aromasin. Thank g-d the disease remains stable and even improving. I have a local onc but also confer with an onc at Lurie Cancer Center. Recently, the onc at Lurie presented my case at a interdisciplinary breast board. They suggested that surgery might improve my longevity. My local onc is against it. He is very conservative and says that it might affect my immune system while I am recovering and why do it if I am stable.
Does anyone one have any experience with this? Has anyone had a positive outcome with surgery with Stage IV ?
If I do go ahead with it, how do I deal with my local onc afterwards. This however, is the least of my worries. My options are limited with other oncs in the area but that's a whole other story.
Thanks for your help. I am always amazed by your courage and wealth of knowledge. This is an amazing site.
Joan S. is offline   Reply With Quote