View Single Post
Old 04-24-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
Ruth

Unhappy Friend in need...questions

One of my mom's friends from way back (they were Girl Scout leaders together) was diagnosed with BC approx 3 years ago. It was a large tumor and several lymphnodes involved. She went through treatment and radiation and seemed OK until now. I am confused a little bit and seem to be in touch with how this all goes but this really confuses me. This wonderful lady went to Myrtle Beach a few weeks ago and had a blast. Everything seemed fine until she got home and became very, very tired. She thought it was related possibly to the pollen count that is so high here in Georgia. Mom told her that after it rained and she still didn't feel good that she needed to go see her Dr. right away. It sounds nutty about the rain but it usually works. Well, it rained soon after she came home and she still felt horrible. She went to see her Onc. and he immediately put her in the hospital, drained her lungs which were full of fluid and ran loads of tests. Her tests came back very, very bad. The BC had spread everywhere. So intense that they were only going to give her "comfort chemo" as they put it. When is chemo ever comfort? Then she just went back to see the Oncologist a couple of days ago and they decided her potassium was so low that no "comfort chemo" either. Comfort chemo was to be Gemzar I found out. Now they are talking about hospice care. How can this happen so fast? She was feeling fine weeks ago. My Mom wants to help her. I want to help her but I am at a little bit of a loss here. I understand that if her blood work is not stable enough they can't give her chemo but can't they help her to get her bloodwork stable? Any suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated.

Hugs ~

Ruth

Diagnosed 6/03 nursing daughter
Dose dense A/C 4x
Modified rad mast 8/03
IDC; 3 cm; 10+/16 nodes; ER/PR-; Her2+++
Weekly taxol w/Herceptin (off label) 12x's
40 weeks Herceptin
Radiation 33x
Reconstruction w/ implants 05 & 07
NED
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote