View Single Post
Old 04-21-2008, 01:21 PM   #22
dlaxague

I'm alive, without Herceptin

<snip> Remember none of us would be alive today without Herceptin so there have been some great advances.

I'm alive without Herceptin. Losing the toss in the adjuvant trial was one of the hardest blows of those early days. Of course now I'm less upset (smile), as I'm still here after 7 years.

Not everyone got it. And of those who did, it looks like it works for roughly half adjuvantly and less than that in the metastatic setting.

You probably meant "some of us wouldn't be alive" and that's true. I just wanted to make sure no one misunderstood.

Debbie Laxague

</snip>
3/01 ~ Age 49, occult primary announced by large axillary node found by my husband. Multiple CBE's, mammogram, U/S could not find anything in the breast. Axillary node biopsy - pathology said + for "mets above diaphragm, probably breast".
4/01 ~ Bilateral mastectomies (LMRM, R simple) - 1.2cm IDC was found at pathology.
5 of 11 axillary nodes positive, largest = 6cm. Stage IIIA
ERPR 5%/1% (re-done later at Baylor, both negative at zero).
HER2neu positive by IHC and FISH (8.89).
Lymphovascular invasion, grade 3, 8/9 modified SBR.
TX: Control of arm of NSABP B-31's adjuvant Herceptin trial (no Herceptin): A/C x 4 and Taxol x 4 q3weeks, then rads. Arimidex for two years, stopped after second patholgy opinion.
dlaxague is offline   Reply With Quote