View Single Post
Old 04-19-2008, 03:39 PM   #6
Lien

Hi,

I was 44, premenopausal, when I was diagnosed with Stage 1 6mm, clean nodes, clean margins IDC. Initially my doc didn't think it was necessary to do hormonal tx, but when it became clear I was HER2 pos, he recommended I see an internist for a second opinion. Again, they didn't recommend hormonal tx, but if I wanted, I could have it. Because at the time they weren't sure which hormonal tx. would be best, they wanted me to try Zoladex and Arimidex. They thought it gave me the best shot at remaining cancer free. My youngest was 3 at the time, and my then 8 year old has ADHD and a father who doesn't know how to deal with that. So for me it was ultra important to do anything that would give me a better chance of survival. And I didn't know how I would explain to my kids that I didn't try everything to stay alive for them. So far this therapy has been quite uneventful. The shots are once every three months and although they hurt a bit, it's no big deal. I get some hot flashes around shot time, but they are far less annoying than having a period every month. Arimidex has been easy on me. I had some joint pain at first, but that has subsided. My hands and feet are still a bit stiff in the morning, but I can live with that. It usually clears up after 10 minutes or so. I do have osteopenia, which I developed after starting the AI. Haven't had a scan for a while, so I have no idea where I stand with that. Had a nasty fall about 9 months ago, and didn't break anything. So far so good. I don't want my ovaries out permanently, because we have no idea what such estrogen deprivation can do to the human body in the long run.

Hope this helps.

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote