View Single Post
Old 04-05-2008, 03:17 PM   #7
chicagoetc

I don't want to be scared. Just aware and corrected if wrong. We aren't statistics so each one of can only face what comes our way. At least that's what my head tells me. Though I admit I'm worried. And you're right. These say nothing about current progress like Tykerb that are not yet out there long enough to predict what will happen over the longer haul. Still it's sobering.

[Then again there are women on this support board who have gone through more than I can imagine and are still out there fighting/living...e.g. Christina and many more. I am inspired and encouraged.]

For more and recent info see:

http://www.breastcancersource.com/br...8__.aspx?mid=6

and

http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingC...eeting/tb/7721

And, Jackie, I assume you're right. The research reflected here seems to be retrospective and not necessarily predictive.

Melanie

PS: [Added two hours later]. Actually I think I'm jumping the gun here. Retrospective studies on BC with metatases to the brain may indicate a higher incidence for individuals who are ER/PR negative. But that's different than studies that follow the development from the other end...i.e. following HER2+ and HER2- and seeing what percent develop metasteses to the brain and what the break down is re hormone status. It looks to me like studies like this to date have not differentiated based on hormone status. Maybe, and maybe even probably, there is a different outcome based on hormone status...but we won't know for sure until we see a study that is prospective and not retrospective. If someone has different data I'd be glad to hear it.

Joe...hope we didn't mess up your thread.
Portacath: 9/7/07
Chemo: 9/14/07 with AC (every three weeks) for four rounds
Physical Therapy for ROM Loss / "Cording" (but not Lymphodema)
Taxol + Herceptin weekly (started 12/2007 with 8 of 12 Taxol)
Radiation: (28 rads from 3/07 to 4/07)
Reconstruction (silicone implant)
Herceptin done (10/08)
Cognitive Remediation (11/08 - 12/08)
Lymphedema Diagnosed 5/10/10 (almost 3 years post cancer diagnosis)
Lymphedema Rehab 9/10/10 - 11/10/10
Six years NED...7/7/2013!

Last edited by chicagoetc; 04-06-2008 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: Thinking more about Herceptin and the need for Tykerb based on hormone status.
chicagoetc is offline   Reply With Quote