View Single Post
Old 04-03-2008, 07:15 PM   #7
Carol Carlson

Being diagnosed with B.C. in March of '04 certainly has changed my attitude about life in general and was a major
" wake-up" call. Since I am by nature a " people pleaser" , I had to make some real changes in my life. My values, personality, and beliefs have not really changed, but how I react to and think about how things will affect ME has changed. I try to stay away from situations that might put me in a stressful situation, I do have more tolerance and empathy for people who, through no fault of their own, are facing tough times. I absolutely know that material things are just that ... " things" . I cherish times with my children and grandchildren. I really don't care if there is a little dust on the piano or if I decide to stay in bed until 9AM. I read books that have some meaning to me instead of those being " cranked out" by authors whose themes are so predictable. Though I don't feel as though I have to be intellectually stimulated all day either. If I feel like watching a dumb movie
while my husband is watching either the history or science channel ... so what....
I'm kinder to myself and don't have to be told that I'm a good person, because I already know it.
Cancer and it's fear tapped me on the shoulder and I will never be totally the same person again.
I talk to God more and am very honest with feelings.
My friends have been wonderful, but now that I'm a 4 year survivor, they sometimes sort of forget that I even went through that dreadful year of treatment in 2004.
This web site is my true life line because we all understand.. like no one else.
Carol
dx. 3/04
IDC 2.2CM primary with 3 DCIS
4/18 pos. nodes er/pr/ neg... her2pos.
partial mastectomy and axillary node dissection
dd A/C.. 4 Taxol
37 Rads.. 1 year herceptin finished May 2006
4 year survivor.. yeeha....
Carol Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote