View Single Post
Old 03-18-2008, 06:30 PM   #14
kcherub

Duh!

I was so long-winded that I forgot one of my original points! LOL I do not have (nor have I ever had) any other "issues" with the remaining breast, or the BC breast (well, before the BC). That being said, with your fears of continuing biopsies, mammograms, etc. I can understand the rationality. In this "game" the mental part is almost more important than the cancer part! I think we can all get through the chemo, herceptin, radiation, but the mental "schrapnel" is very hard.

As everyone here knows, every week I think I have some sort of met. I kind of giggle at myself in writing that, but it is so hard to not find something in nothing. This week, it's lung mets. Giggling at myself, but not at lung mets. Still worried that I do have lung mets, so giggling at myself again. I try to find the humor in some part of this. I have completely turned into a neurotic. Check back later for my post on whether or not I have lung mets.

For you, the PTSD that you might be saving yourself from might be worth just going for it! So, if I had been in your place with either breast (other than the chance of another biopsy later, and not having any cysts or calcifications in the past), I probably would have opted for the mastectomy originally, and a double if "issues" in the left breast.

Can I ask how old you were at diagnosis, and what your stats (see mine below) are?

Take care,
ER/PR 90%+ HER2 +
6 TCH started 5/25/2007, ended after #5 due to steroid "reactions" and neuropathy in feet and hands
BUT--#6 CH w/o Taxotere
Begin Herceptin alone 9/28/2007
30 rads completed 12/19/2007
Finish Herceptin 5/9/2008
Stopped Tamoxifen early--HATED it.
Married 17 years
13-year old son
3 embies on ice (from 1999)
GA, USA

kcherub is offline   Reply With Quote