View Single Post
Old 03-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #12
Mary Jo

Thanks Cynthia

Thanks so much for sharing that with us Cynthia.......especially your letter to the Editor.

I don't mean to get off topic here or away from Liz's seeking opinions on prophylactic mastectomy but more to add to the discussion by saying how I so agree with that letter to the editor.

I remember when I had decided on mastectomy first and not the chemo route first as my first onc. recommended. As I stated before he was WAY more concerned about me "losing" my breast than I was. Anyway, when I made the decision to go ahead with the mastectomy and not the chemo route first - his words to me were "I knew you'd make an emotional decision..............." MAN, was I pissed at that man. How dare he make such a statement to me. How dare he assume he knew what was best for me. He may be the oncologist and the one educated in cancer care BUT I was the cancer patient....I was the one with my life on the line and I was not making an "emotional" decision but an educated decision for what was best for me. Needless to say, that was the last day I saw that onc. When I made my decision to have my prophylactic mastectomy of my left breast, it too, was made weighing ALL my options. I DID educate myself. And when it was all laid on the table I knew what was best for me.

As we all know, statistics are just that - STATISTICS and we are NOT statistics. We are living, breathing, educated individual's who can make decisions for themselves. They may not be the decisions some would make but each of us makes the decisions that are right for us.

So anyway, RIGHT ON CYNTHIA.........................Way to go for giving it back to them with your wonderful words of truth and feeling from someone who knows.

Hugs ...

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06