View Single Post
Old 03-02-2008, 07:37 PM   #12
Mary Jo

Individuality

Hi Jamie,

I so agree with the thinking that we shouldn't all be placed in a "group" as to how to treat us. We are all individuals and all require different things. There is no "right" or "wrong." What is "right" (in my opinion) is what the patient requires to live a quality life. That doesn't just mean those that have mets but those who are early stage and who may need that added benefit of "knowing" there is no cancer. My doctor's philosophy is this:

"As a physician, I feel it is important to care for patients as whole, combining the specific treatment for their disease with their desire for quality of life. Even when their disease is no longer responding to treatment, there is always something that can be done to help them deal with their illness. Communication with my patients and educating them about their disease is an integral part of my practice." Dr. Christopher Chitambar - Froedtert and the Medical College - Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

He listens (as they all should) and when he "hears" (even though I haven't spoken the word "fear) that Mary Jo is afraid of recurrence because of some pain or something he will order a test of some sort. He feels peace of mind is an integral part of living with this disease. He is right - of course.

I, for one, would not want regular scans. I personally couldn't take the stress of it HOWEVER if I wanted them I feel you should have the right to have them.

Sadly, there is always the dang insurance that gets in the way of that and that, too, is wrong in my book.

Hugs to you all.....

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06