View Single Post
Old 03-01-2008, 03:09 AM   #3
madubois63

This could be a very interesting topic of discussion!! My story is long and drawn out and reads like a sad sappy story...

When first diagnosed, I continued to work through chemo and up until the mastectomy/reconstruction. I immediately applied for social security disability, but that didn't come through for six months. I did collect state disability through my job. This was all a drop in income, and hard to adjust too, but you do what you've got to do. After state disability ran out, I was able to collect unemployment (because my job didn't have a position for me to return too - mutual decision). Social security finally came through, and unemployment ran out after awhile (there was an overlap where I was getting both). I was able to get a small grants from CancerCare and ACS during treatments (they use to send weekly checks, but now send only one check per year).

After radiation treatments, I decided to go back to school to finally get my Associates Degree in Paralegal Studies (with honors). VESID (don't know if that is only in NY or elsewhere too) and financial aid paid for tuition and books. VESID pays for re-training for the disabled. I had to do an internship for my degree, and was offered a part-time job for the summer with the firm. Social Security disability continued to come in and the small income from the job made things better (had to keep the income limited to continue the SSD). After graduation, I was offered a full time job, but decided to work towards my BA. I also continued to work part-time. In the meantime, my then estranged husband quit his job leaving my 2 children and I without health insurance (yup, in the middle of cancer treatments - very nice guy). What little money I had was pretty much going/gone to my medical care. NY has Child Health Plus which gave the kids coverage, and it was free. Medicare finally kicked in, and I also was able to get Medicaid, but I have spend-down with it. Medicare pays 80% of my medical bills. Then I have to spend $310 each month before Medicaid will pay the rest. It hurts to have to pay that each month, but the alternative is just insane. The transplant alone was nearly a million dollars, and some of my medications cost $7000 for a one month supply (before insurance).

After my first relapse, I had no choice but to leave my job. Loosing that income hurt really bad. Then my ex stopped paying child support for a while. He took me to court asking that all arrears be dismissed. No court in America would do that, but by that time, it was too late. The repo man came and took away my little truck...it was a very sad day!! I actually called them because I knew I wouldn't be able to continue paying - thought it better to be my decision than to have them come and just take the car. Anyway...

I could never quite get a job. I spent so much time in the doctors office/hospital and then the leukemia happened. Just when I thought I might be able to go back to work, the breast cancer came back again. I am now hoping to take a few classes so that eventually I will have my BA, but I am afraid to make any plans.

I have been very lucky in that we live with my parents. It is a big house with a big back yard. The house is whats called a mother/daughter around these parts - aka high ranch. My parents are upstairs, and the kids and I are downstairs. I have a very nice ranch type apartment - very private. 3 bedrooms, 1 bathroom, a living room and eat-in kitchen. If I had to rent, I would have been kicked out by now. My sister bought me a car after loosing my little truck and she paid all my co-pays the first time around.

Cancer has not only wreaked havoc on my body/mind and to my family, but I know for a fact I would have been a lot better off financially without it!! I have reached out and taken any help offered/available through the local churches, hospitals (Christmas gifts and food), cancer societies and state/government programs. If you've read my journey over the years, then you know The American Cancer Society helped with lodging for my family and I while away from home for the bone marrow transplant, reimbursements for pain medication, travel, makeup and wigs. The Leukemia Lymphoma Society helped with travel (parking, gas, flights), and co-pays. A local grass roots program paid for 10 cleaning sessions after the transplant and also sent me a nice check to purchase Christmas gifts one year. Angel Flights flew me to Buffalo for my first consultation and the transplant.

I have spent a lot of time on the internet researching programs, on the phone and filling out forms. But it has all been worth it. Money is very tight and limited, but somehow we still have (good) food on the table, decent clothes, the lights are still on, we all have cell phones, computers and internet service and I am able to get my medications. But...It is the end of the month and I am broke!!! My money comes in on Monday and is mostly gone my Monday (not funny). I make very good use of the coin star machines and return bottles for every nickle I can get...coupons are my friends!!!

If anyone hasn't searched out any of these programs and would like help, please ask!!!
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver