View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 07:38 PM   #7
pffida

Coughing and Herceptin

You have a right to be concerned. I also had coughing about six months into my Herceptin treatments. It started slowly and at first, was kind of brushed off by the nurse. When it started keeping me and my husband awake at night, I knew something was wrong. The onc agreed and started the ball rolling. Within a 2 week period, I had a CT scan (showed small 6 mm spot on lung), that then prompted a PET scan (negative). Went to a cardiologist for echo, 6 hour stress test, nuclear heart scan and halter monitor test.

Bottom line, everyone agreed, it was the Herceptin causing the cardiomyopathy. I was taking it every 3 weeks. I skipped one treatment (total of six weeks without treatment) and the coughing stopped at about the 4 week timeline. We also changed my BP medicine to one less prone to cause coughing.

I am now back on Herceptin, but take it every week. I have had no more heart problems since then. Keep pushing the doctors.
ER/PR-, HER2+++
  • 4 rounds AC - every 3 weeks
  • 3 rounds Taxol + Herceptin - every 3 weeks (developed allergy to Taxol so stopped treatment)
  • Weekly Herceptin after Herceptin-induced cardiomyopathy from treatments every 3 weeks
pffida is offline   Reply With Quote