View Single Post
Old 02-29-2008, 12:08 PM   #1
betlen5

Post Radical Mastectomy....Scared! Any advise

Here is the latest news: I went to Birmingham, AL last week. Meet with about 12 Chief Dr's. (I was the only Indian) My last PET/CAT SCAN on 2/1/08 shows that the chemotherapy medication seems to be keeping the cancer under control which returned last September. I go back to Birmingham on 3/3/08 for an MRI. I have been fighting breast cancer for 7 years and it has been fighting back 7 times. So, I will be undergoing a Radical Mastectomy at the end of this month or first week in April. They will be removing the right breast down to the rib cage, under my arm to the shoulder blade and will also remove part of the pectoral muscle. I will remain in the hospital in Birmingham for no less than 5 days and will have another MRI before I return home to recover. I will need to have more chemo again, after my recovery, for a while. Until now, the cancer has been inoperable due to the largest tumor lying next to the main artery and on top of the nerve bed under my right arm. Dr.'s are very confident that this surgery will STOP the cancer from returning. Dr.'s also feel that after dissections of everything, they hope to find out "WHY", the cancer never spread to any other organs and perhaps be able to help other Breast Cancer Patient's. I have come to far and endured to much to let the candle burn out now. So, any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your continued support and prayers through the years.

Betty Lennox & Family

"Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine."
ISAIAH 43:1
8/2004 DX Local Reacurrance; er/pr+ her2 3+ positive; dbl mas reconstructive surgery w/tran flap; no chemo or drugs
11/2005 DX Local Reacurrance; er/pr+ her2 3+ positive; Taxol/Herceptin 1x weekly for 12 weeks; Herceptin for 9 months 1x 21 days
12/2006 DX Local Reacurrance; er/pr- her2 3+ positive; Her 2 rechecked with FISH her2+++ er/pr-
3/9/07 Started Tykerb (Lapatinib) 1250 mg/once daily
Xeloda (Capecitabine 2000 mg/m2/daily 1-14 every 21 days
betlen5 is offline   Reply With Quote