View Single Post
Old 02-20-2008, 11:55 AM   #17
AlaskaAngel

Question

Terry,

The other thing that might influence whether or not one should use progesterone would be if one has had a hysterectomy. I had one several years prior to bc diagnosis, and my onc might have also taken that into account when he said it was fine for me to use progesterone (although I doubt that even registered with him).

I used progesterone cream off and on during treatment (it was hard to be consistent about much of ANYTHING that was optional and required discipline during treatment). One problem is that it is hard to know just what schedule to use for applying it -- i.e., 7 days off and the rest of the month on, or what, once one has had a hysterectomy?

I also couldn't find any really good information on the use of it when taking tamoxifen (yea or nay) and since I was on tamoxifen for almost 2 years after chemo I dropped off the progesterone.

After that I used it again some. But then when I was considering participating in the testosterone trial I dropped off it entirely far ahead of time so as not to interfere in any way with the results from that trial. So I was off progesterone for several months for that trial.

I haven't used it regularly since then. I wish we had more help from endocrinologists with all of this. I became more interested in the use of melatonin and have used that on a fairly steady basis. But I don't know how or if that has good or bad effects when using progesterone.

I'm also unsure if using progesterone without doing it on a regular schedule might not be a good thing.

AlaskaAngel
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote