Thread: sicko by MM
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 04:20 AM   #22
sarah

I think it's tragic that the USA doesn't have universal health care and it is also dangerous in case of infectious diseases running rampant. The health insurance business is so lucrative and rich it can spend billions fighting universal health. Universal health does NOT mean you can't choose your doctor and in the USA an insurance company can decide what is necessary and what they will pay for and which doctors you can go to. Of course the insurance companies can find all the horror stories and stress them but what about all the good stories and what about all the horror stories about health insurance in the USA. and why can't Medicare bargain for the price of drugs when foreign countries can? who prevents that? and why does the American taxpayer pay the health insurance of Congress??? Congress makes more money than the median taxpayer so should pay its own way that way they would be a little more interested in helping with this very critical issue. it would be fair, safer for the population in general and for those of you who want extra perks, you can just pay for them. sounds reasonable to me. Nothing stops me from leaving France and going to the USA, if I wanted to - I don't, and have treatment and pay for it there. It's not like you're banned. It's the old Fox news scare tactic. I can't believe anyone would be against universal health except an insurance company. I have friends in the USA, who have worked all their lives and now find they can't afford health insurance in the US and have to hang on until 66 for medicare! I hope some day that California will vote it in (too soon now) and they will prove how well it works. In California, they forced insurance companies to pay for Mammos and reconstruction surgery (some states still don't) and the insurance companies threatened to leave the state, the state said fine, leave, we'll create our own and guess what, the insurances companies blinked and they pay for it. Doesn't it make sense that diagnosing someone earlier will cost everyone (particularly the taxpayer) less than if they have to go into the emergency ward and intensive care????? I speak as a cancer patient, a doctor's daughter and someone who has been treated in the USA with supposedly great insurance and in France. So I feel I have a well rounded view and I vote for Universal Health care. It just makes sense.
sarah is offline   Reply With Quote