View Single Post
Old 01-15-2008, 04:14 PM   #29
R.B.

I have not looked into this in detail as I am a bit busy at the moment. Here are a few general thoughts.

Lawyers in grey suits and a quest for identity rather than cancer is my burden in a case to be heard before the Lord Chief Justice in the UK next week - so please wish me luck.

The trial looks like it used pure GLA, but I would have to check.

GLA is only about 10% of primrose oil. Much of the rest of primrose oil is Omega Six.

GLA is the first step up the conversion ladder from the mother Omega 6. (Sorry rushing I put Omega 3 last night which is plain wrong. I have not idea where that came from - my mind was on other things. RB)

GLA is either used to make more Omega six long chain fat (BAD) which makes the Omega 6 inflammatory chemicals

OR to fuel an alternate GLA based chemical cascade which is less aggressive than the primary Omega Six called the series 1 pathway.

So as usual it is not straight forward and not directly comparable to primrose oil. Borage and blackcurrant have higher GLA. Work out the amount of Omega six included and factor it into your intake balance.

IF the body is converting fats well, what is the improvement available from GLA is a question that needs asking.

IF a choice between Fish oil or GLA - fish oil every time

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote