View Single Post
Old 01-07-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink Please Do Not Despair. All Is Not Lost...

I was told, in '98, that what I had was INCURABLE, INOPERABLE AND I WOULD BE ON LONG TERM CHEMOTHERAPY FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE.

I was devastated. Mind-numbing ideas! Then I saw another onc who told me -- cancer is incurable right now, true, but it is controllable. It is a chronic condition that has flare ups and we have many weapons in our arsenal to combat it. They continue to come out with new tx practically every wk.

He added that I don't want to operate on my extensive liver mets. It would weaken me for the chemo, which I would have to have anyway b/c it could be microscopically present.

As for longterm chemotherapy, this onc told me that there are kinder, gentler drugs that I may have to go on for maintenance.
After 9 mnths of hell w/Taxotere I reached remission and, for me,
HERCEPTIN, is my longterm chemotherapy (that is really a monoclonal antibody) for the rest of my life.

I see myself living for a very long time, and feel I can *live* w/this sentence. I am so happy for each day and each grandchild I have lived to greet into this world.

Please read my post in Havah's LIVER METS thread...for more.

There are different ways of looking at the same situation. You can believe there are no miracles in Life, or you can begin to see that everything is miraculous! (Borrowed from Einstein...)

Whatever stands before you -- YOU CAN DO IT! I BELIEVE IN YOU! Remember -- you are never alone. Never. Tap into the powers that lie at your core. They are there, even if you haven't yet found them.

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote