View Single Post
Old 01-05-2008, 09:40 PM   #15
Barbara2

My friends have never had a discussion with me about my cancer. They don't seem to want to discuss it. I, on the other hand, would like to let them know about this kind of cancer, things I have learned, my fears, etc.

One of my friends made the "I could be hit by a truck tomorrow, too" comment when I was sharing a concern about a recent test. I thought, "I'd rather have the odds of getting hit by a truck vs. the odds of cancer recurrance. Would she like to trade?" No, they don't get it.

I felt that if they knew some of the details, they would have a little better understanding of me, and what I might be experiencing. I'm not looking for sympathy at all, but I would like them to have some idea of cancer's impact. But maybe that is impossible,...maybe a person has to experience it first hand.

But instead, it's never brought up. Do they think I am back to the person that I was before? That cancer is a horrible memory from the past, but now it can be forgotten? No, they don't get it. But I do...may I be better for it.

DX Oct 02 @ age 52 Stage 2B Grade 3 Mastectomy
"at least" 4.5 cm IDC 1+node ER+61% /PR-
Assiciated Intraductual component with Comedo Necrosis
Her2+ FISH8.6 IHC 2+
5 1/2 CEF Arimidex
Celebrex 400mg daily for 13 months
Prophylactic mastectomy
Estradiol #: 13
PTEN positive, "late" Herceptin (26 months after chemo)
Oct 05: Actonel for osteopenia from Arimidex.
May 08: Replaced Actonel with Zometa . Taking every 6
months.

Accepting the gift of life, I give thanks for it and live it in fullness.
Barbara2 is offline   Reply With Quote