View Single Post
Old 12-29-2007, 01:41 PM   #4
KellyA

Hi there. I did have some of the same difficulties with my period when it returned. I had a normal cycle through the AC, but lost it during the Taxol. Then nothing for about 8 mos or so. When it finally did restart, it was very heavy and I wasn't able to leave the house. I went through about 60 tampons in about 24 hours (sorry, OVERSHARING, I know). After an emergency trip to the doc on a SAT. afternoon (why don't things ever happen during the regular workday?!), they brought out what I refer to as their "magic pill" to try to stop it. He said that if they couldn't get it under control in a few hours, they would have to do a DNC. Well, 1 pill, and 30 minutes later, it was GONE. I asked my doctor where this magic pill had been for the last 20 years during every ruined vacation, and ill-timed cycle. He thought it was pretty funny. Anyways, it is called Megace. And yes, they gave me fifty of them which I keep in a secret safe for future needs :-). I had two of these cycles, the second not quite as bad as the first, and then no period again for another 7 mos. My visitor came by again last week. Yipee!!!

My doc explained to me that during chemo, your cycle does get messed up, and that everyone is different. Some people stop ovulating all together, and some still ovulate, but have no period. So when the period finally restarts, you may have a few months worth to deal with.

I hope that this gets better for you with time, and if needed ask your doctor about the Megace. It does have progesterone in it, so it is not something you would want to take regularly, especially if you are hormone +, but one or two of them to stop or slow things down will not hurt you. It is a very low dosage of progesterone.

Love, Kelly
Stage 2b, 2 tumors- 2.2 cm and 0.6 cm, 3/5 + nodes
all scans clear
genetic testing- negative
06/06 began dd A/C x 4, 12 weekly Taxols w/ Herceptin
30 rads
Herceptin weekly x 1 year
Herceptin completed 08/07
Port removed 12/26/07 MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!
05/17/08 Two year anniversary NED

"We gain strength, courage, and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face... you must do the thing that you think you cannot do."

-Eleanor Roosevelt

KellyA is offline   Reply With Quote