View Single Post
Old 12-26-2007, 07:31 AM   #4
R.B.

I am out of my depth here.

I post it as a way of saving it, to flag up the warning in the article as to the possible dangers of certain types of animal bedding, and in case of interest to HER2 experts.

I have been unable so far to determine if there is any danger of these products being present in corn oils, or if cobs are present in the extraction process.

But this is looking at LOXs which are products of Omega Six, linoleic acid. LOXs are a product of Omega Six.

Cutting down Omega six and balancing with Omega Three will reduce the availability of LOX products.

HER is part of the epidermal growth factor family, but I do not know if this article has any bearing specificaly on HER2.

Leukotoxin Diols from Ground Corncob Bedding Disrupt Estrous Cyclicity in Rats and Stimulate MCF-7 Breast Cancer Cell Proliferation

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...?artid=1314908

"In addition, although the THF-diols and LTX-diols on ground corncob extracts stimulate estrogen-dependent (MCF-7 cells) cell proliferation, the compounds also stimulate cell proliferation in estrogen-independent breast cancer (MDA-MD-231 cells) and prostate cancer (LNCap vs. PC-3 cells) cell lines (Markaverich et al. 2002a, 2002b) in vitro. "

"Epidermal growth factor (EGF) stimulation of cell proliferation involves membrane-associated PLA-mediated release of arachidonic acid and linoleic acids from the cell membrane. The conversion of these fatty acids to prostaglandins (Nolan et al. 1988) or linoleic acid metabolites [9-hydroxyoctadecadienoic acid (9-HODE), 12-HODE, and 13-HODE] mediates EGF stimulation of [3H]thymidine incorporation into DNA (Glasgow and Eling 1990, 1994), cell cycle transition, and apoptosis (Durgam and Fernandes 1997; Kachhap et al. 2000; Tong et al. 2002). Breast cancer specimens contain higher concentrations of PLA than do benign breast tissues, and low PLA activity is associated with longer disease-free interval and survival even though no relationship was noted between PLA and ER or progesterone receptor status (J. Yamashita et al. 1995; S. Yamashita et al. 1993, 1994). In MCF-7, MCF-10, and MDA-MB-231 human breast cancer cells, LOX, but not COX, inhibitors block EGF/transforming growth factor α stimulation of 12-HODE, and 13-HODE production and cellular proliferation (Natajaran et al. 1997; Reddy et al. 1997). A number of LOX inhibitors including nordihydroguaiaretic acid, baicalein, and Rev-5901 inhibit MCF-7 and MDA-MB-231 cell proliferation and induce apoptosis. LOX products [5-eicosatrienoic acid (5-HETE), 12-HETE] reverse these effects (Natajaran et al. 1997). EGF stimulation of MCF-7 cell proliferation causes a dose-dependent increase in the formation of LOX products, including 12-HETE (Tong et al. 2002). Thus, LOX products (HODEs, HETEs) stimulate proliferation of these cells. THF-diols and LTX-diols are derived from linoleic acid pathways that generate HODEs and HETEs. It is possible that the THF-diols and LTX-diols modulate cellular proliferation by controlling the synthesis of these linoleic acid metabolites and/or by mimicking these compounds as mitogenic agents."

"Uncharacterized chemical agents in these materials may include the LTX-diols and THF-diols. In addition to being used as bedding for small animals, ground or milled corncob is also used as adsorbent for chemical spills, a polishing agent for metals, and a pesticide carrier for insects such as spider mites and fire ants. This product is also used as cat litter. Thus, exposure of the general public to toxic agents in ground corncob is likely. Clearly, these fatty acid diols stimulate breast cancer cell proliferation in vitro and disrupt reproductive function in rats at relatively low concentrations. Sustained exposure to such compounds may represent a significant health hazard."
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote