View Single Post
Old 12-25-2007, 07:12 PM   #21
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Wink More Questions?? Ask Away...

Hi Shadow,

I completely agree that the mind can conspire to heal the body, sending it explicit instructions. The mind rules the body, and the body obeys whatever it is told to do. IT HEARS EVERYTHING TO THINK, OR EVEN WHISPER!

I have a supplement regiment given me by my nutritional oncologist. A rare gem of a healer, I was blessed to be led to. He has taught me to meditate, to relax my mind and thus my body, to use guided imagery, which is discussed quite well by Steph in a thread somewhere around here and to use the power of my thoughts to help me fare well. It is my experience that -- what we think impacts how well we feel (emotionally) and contributes mightily to outcome.

This being said, and profoundly believed down to my Soul, I had a mastectomy and I had chemotherapy. I chose to see these as necessary as well to defeat my cancer. I could have given in to the temptation to resist allowing toxic substances into my body, but instead I saw this as a lifeline -- pulling me through rough waters.

I am aware that the cancer can exist in microscopic form, undetected by all the tests I had. I wanted to obliterate every infinitesimal remnant of the disease as definitively as I could. I availed myself of every weapon modern cutting edge medicine has to fight this insidious disease with! Including, what I consider additionally important -- working with my body through my mind, boosting my immune system (as I describe in my GAINING CONTROL threads). Also as an INTEGRATIVE therapy using specific supplements to: Neutralize free radicals, protect the good cells from damage, reduce recurrence of cancer, prevent cancer cells from proliferating, energize myself, keep my heart healthy, decrease tumor burden, protect brain and spinal nerves, assist in gastro absorption, lower triglycerides, lower blood sugar, help prevent stroke, rid the body of toxins, support bone health, inhibit tumor growth, decrease muscle/joint pain and so on... And, I meditate daily and use guided imagery. All these factors combine to give this complex disease w/many faces the greatest wallop it ever met! I believe each is necessary for overall quality of Life and Survival!

In this way I can live with joy and harmony, grateful for each, feeling more alive than I ever felt before. I found I was much stronger and braver than I thought I was. I wanted to be a role model for my daughters, to face any and all adversity with grace and fierce determination, despite the odds. This desire propelled me forward, even as the going got tough. I did what I had to achieve my clear goal, with focused Intention and faithful Expectation.

The wisdom and knowledge of this site and all that I have educated myself about breast cancer helps me to understand the aggressive foe I am up against and therefore to hit it with the most aggressive tools (Eastern and Western, modern and ancient) that I could access. I grasped right off that I was in a Life and Death battle and I moved ahead with certainty and tenacity.

I pray you will make the right choices and be led to full remission. You are especially fortunate in that you have the advantage of having access to Herceptin as a first liner. Had I had that choice, I doubt I would have recurred. But, thank God, it did become available when I metastasized, just in time -- to save my life!

Much to think about, Shadow. Let us know how you proceed, please. We stand with you, as a Sister and a fellow Warrior...
Andi

'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote