View Single Post
Old 12-21-2007, 10:40 AM   #9
madubois63

I think it's a great idea, but...

After hearing those words for the first time, I did not want to read anything. Then when I did feel up to reading, I found it all so overwhelming. I was given tons of information and had access to too much information. I think that anything you decide on doing should be in non-medical terms - easy to digest. A check list of sorts is a great thing, but there are so many good lists that I think need to be put together. Different sections would be really helpful. Starting out, asking questions, tips on surviving side effects, moving on, financial help, insurance info...I've gotten things from American Cancer Society, CancerCare, Cancer 101, Livestrong, several different cancer hospitals...I have cut things out from all of them and pasted them in to a notebook (phone numbers, web sites, what they offer...). I have also learned things along the way that most people hopefully don't have to deal with (loosing health insurance during treatments, having a car repossessed, leukemia because of chemotherapy...). I think we all have something to contribute to this book/pamphlet/idea, but know it will be a lot of work to make it better than what is already out there. Maybe you can start a thread and everyone can contribute information about some of the things they've learned along the way. I've dealt with social security disability, free meds and other fun stuff, loosing jobs, returning to college and having a federal/state program pay for school. I've got tons of info and doubt very much that I am the only one.

Speaking of things I learned...I have to go to my local hospital to pick up Christmas presents right now. I was adopted this year. It was a difficult thing to do (admitting I needed help), but I am so thankful. Cancer can be devastating in more ways than just the physical. maybe if people know these things are out there, they won't be so afraid to look and ask for the help they need...
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver