Thread: Hi Everyone...
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2007, 09:16 PM   #4
Becky

The 2 cancers are linked but the link is more familial (BRCA1 or 2 especially). The chance of ovarian cancer is rare regardless. However, it might be on your mind more if a family member had it. For example, my paternal grandmother died of ovarian cancer so it was definitely on my mind and was considered when I had my oophorectomy.

Hormonal status of bc might not play as much a part in ovarian cancer. Ovarian though does depend on how many lifetime menstrual cycles a woman has (much the same as hormone positive bc). With ovarian, it is the amount of times a woman has ovulated so starting to menstruate late, early menopause, many pregnancies (and nursing the babies so you don't menstruate), taking the birth control pill (of which you don't menstruate) all help. That is because the ovary must heal the wound that occurs when ovulation occurs and that wound healing (and rebuilding) can make cellular mistakes which cancer can occur. The less ovulations, the less chance for an error to occur. For ER+ bc, the more ovulations, the more high peak estrogen episodes the breasts are exposed to.

If you have any other questions, ask.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote