View Single Post
Old 12-18-2007, 12:21 PM   #20
Lani

here is the last researcher--the antibody signatures she has detected seem to predict

breast cancer years before it becomes clinically detectible:

Tumor Glycome Laboratories of the NIH Alliance of Glycobiologists for Detection of Cancer and Cancer Risk

The National Cancer Institute is funding an initiative to discover, develop, and clinically validate cancer biomarkers based on complex carbohydrate structures attached to proteins and lipids. Seven Tumor Glycome Laboratories are searching for glycan-based biomarkers for breast, ovarian, lung, prostate, and pancreatic cancers and melanoma.
Numerous studies comparing normal and tumor cells have shown that changes in glycan structures on the cell correlate with cancer development. Compared to molecular proteins, molecular glycans are extremely abundant and recent advances in technology have now allowed the effective systematic study of these structures.
NCI's Tumor Glycome Laboratories are the principle component of the new trans-NIH Alliance of Glycobiologists for Detection of Cancer and cancer Risk. The other members of the Alliance are the Consortium for Functional the diagnosis of breast cancer years prior to diagnosis, or so she hopes

The NIH seems to feel her research is especially promising and her personal commitment, energy and the attitude I gleened from my conversations with her made her stand out in the way that a dog who wouldn't give up a slipper over its dead body ie, I doubt she will give up any promising research direction nor fail to pursue all others within her capability

Glycomics supported by the National Institute of General Medical Sciences and the Glycomics and Glycotechnology Resource Centers supported by the National Center for Research Resources.
The seven Tumor Glycome Laboratories are:
PROJECT TITLE
PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR
INSTITUTION OBJECTIVES OF PROJECT
(CANCER TYPE UNDER STUDY)
Discovery and clinical validation of cancer biomarkers using printed glycan array
Margaret Huflejt, Ph.D.
Cellexicon, Inc. Determine the diagnostic or prognostic anti-glycan auto-antibody signatures in patients and for breast cancer, determine how many years prior to diagnosis that progression to cancer can be predicted.
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote