View Single Post
Old 12-10-2007, 03:14 AM   #10
madubois63

I was just making a quick trip to the bathroom and stopped by the computer on the way. I will write more later, but just wanted to say I have made it through yet another unpleasant procedure. The preliminary pathology report is in, and it is bc. In a way, it is a good thing because I can take anti-hormonals and possibly herceptin if the genetics of the thing haven't changed. If it was a new primary, well, that would have been a really crappy thing...Anyway, I spent two extra days in the hospital to let the lung drain as much fluid out as possible. Hopefully, I wouln't have fluid come back again like I did last time (I had this exact procedure done in October of 2004 and have been living with some fluid in my right lung ever since). I had Dr. Gloom and Doom do the procedure then, but he seemed much nicer this time. I was going to get ice when he came off the elevator yesterday. He was holding scissors and bandages and knew instantly he was coming for me. I asked if I could take ativan and he said I could take anything I wanted...I ran to my room and took 2 of my own. If I waited for the hospital, I'd still be waiting. Then he gave me a shot of morphine and he actually made me laugh while pulling the tube out. It still hurt like a *itch, and I screamed, but ot was not horrible (the meds had kicked in...). Then I came home. I slept the day away pretty much wasted on meds. My mother hovered over me and the kids cleaned the house and asked me if I needed anything...nice!! As to having my own ativan in the hospital, I don't recommend it, but I have learned that the hospitals never have all my meds. I take several that cost thousands of dollars each. I have a small suitcase for my meds and just bring that with me everywhere. They never seem to have Femara, but it really surprised me when they didn't even have penicillin in the pharmacy. I DID get my private room, but after spending one night in recovery. But that was okay, because I had everyone at my beck and call. At one point, I even had 2 good looking male nurses caring for me. I know I said this will be short, so I will go back to bed real soon, but I just have to tell you all about the idiot nurse that tried to give me a morphine shot in my left arm (that was CLEARLY marked with a pink bracelet). She actually argued with me saying they give shots in the lymphodema threatened arm all the time. I told her not on me!!! I know people that have gotten lymphodema from a shot given several years after surgery and suffer from it - forever! I asked other nurses what the wrist band meant and they all told me exactly what I thought it to mean - do not use this arm for blood pressure, to take blood or give shots. She needs the stupid stick upside the head!! Anyway - back to bed. I am in pain, but it's not horrible. I know I needed this procedure, but am very glad it's over. Thanks for all the support, e-mails and prayers. Night, night! Love to you all...
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver