View Single Post
Old 11-25-2007, 02:37 PM   #7
Becky

I worked full time as National Sales Manager of a large, well-known chemical company. I had 9 outside sales reps, an inside rep and an admin reporting to me. The only thing I did not do during chemo and rads was business travel. I had chemo Oct - January and this is the cold/flu time of year. Also, I did not want to get stuck somewhere where I could not get home in time for chemo. During rads, travel is impossible since you get a treatment everyday. I was not able to start Herceptin with the Taxol (had dense dose AC followed by dense dose Taxol) because the trial was not over. However, right after rads, the great Herceptin results were announced and I started Herceptin (every 3 weeks) 4 months after my last Taxol. I traveled for business during Herceptin (received 16 months of Herceptin versus the traditional 12). I almost never traveled during a Herceptin week unless it was the first day or two of the week (got Herceptin on Friday) - same reason as chemo - didn't want to miss a treatment.

During chemo, I did take "disability days". Then, my boss just said - work from home those days instead if you can. The one hr drive to the office (and back) is bad too. So, on bad days, I worked from home. I could talk to my reps and customers and they didn't know I was lying in bed or on the computer in bed. Then came the office "sickness" of which my boss told me just to work from home. This was 4 weeks straight cuz everyone was sick. This was the year there was no flu shots (I got one but the regular population had a hard time getting it).

It is very doable and I had a very responsible job. You just have to know that you might not be able to do it everyday. HOWEVER, the AC is behind you and I thought that was the worst part.

Just listen to your body. Rest when you need it. The chemo won't kill you but a minor cold can if it gets the best of you when your defenses are low and you are exhausted when you should have been resting more.

During rads and Herceptin alone - absolutely no problemo!

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote